“Family members started Special Olympics and have been at the forefront of every major advancement we have made in our effort to improve the lives of people with intellectual disabilities. We want every member of every family to see SOWA as a support system, a safe place, a resource, and a source of joy and celebration. SOWA is there for our families for a lifetime.”
–Dave Lenox, President & CEO, Special Olympics Washington
Support for Families
- Resource tables at SOWA competitions to connect you to helpful organizations
- Family Lounges at competitions where you can relax, share input, and get helpful information.
- Receptions and trainings at events and competitions
- Regular Webinars on a variety of topics; from sibling support to transition/DDA/supported living topics.
- Resource List connecting you to the state’s leaders in family services. Connect to your local Parent-to-Parent coordinator to help navigate state services and benefits, your nearest Special Healthcare Needs Coordinator to find service providers, or call Within Reach to find out about respite, independent living, trusts, guardianship, and more.
By joining your Area’s Family Support Network you’ll be connected to your Area’s Family Support Coordinator who will keep you up to date about SOWA events and opportunities. They will also share helpful resources with you about other needs you may have include referrals for physicians, help signing up for DDA benefits, sibling supports, and more.