Through the power of sports, people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) discover new strengths and abilities, skills and success. Our athletes find joy, confidence and fulfillment — on the playing field and in life. They also inspire people in their communities and elsewhere to open their hearts to a wider world of human talents and potential. There are approximately 170,000 people with IDD in Washington. Our goal is to reach out to every one of them – and their families as well.
Join Special Olympics Washington and be the best you can be!
To be eligible to participate in Special Olympics, athletes must:
- Be at least 8 years old (children ages 2-1/2 to 7 are eligible to participate in the Young Athletes program).
- Be diagnosed by an agency or professional as having one of the following conditions: intellectual disability; a cognitive delay as determined by standardized measures such as intelligence quotient or other generally accepted measures; or a closely related development disability, i.e., functional limitations in both general learning and adaptive skills.
- Complete the Athlete Registration packet, including all required medical and release forms.
- Agree to uphold the Special Olympics Athlete Code of Conduct.
Ready to join the Special Olympics Washington team?
- Contact our Athlete Support Hotline at (206) 362-4949.
- Complete and return the Athlete Registration packet, including all required medical and release forms.
For questions and more information, contact our Athlete Support Hotline at (206) 362-4949 or by email.